TAILGATE LIFT SUPPORTS

2002 Toyota Highlander

2002 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 153471 miles

Am replacing the lift supports - anything other than the obvious in removing the old or installing the new? Do the new supports have to be fully extended to replace or can they remain in the compressed position? Thank you in advance.
XxxOrionxxx

I have not changed the lift struts for this specific vehicle but dozens of others. So I cannot quote on the specific procedure but couple things that should get you going.

The rear hatch is much heavier than you think. Have an assistant hold the hatch open after removing the first strut until you install the new one, unless you have an adjustable rod of sufficient length to support it.

Also, you will find the hatch extends beyond the normal stop point and the struts should be installed fully extended for the least amount of struggle.

If this does not help enough, please post back and a Honda specific technician can help.

Good luck.

Knowyourauto