93 - AC BUTTON LITS ON WITH 2K RP WHILST FAN IS OFF.

1993 Toyota Corolla

Corolla 1993, 180,000 Kms, 1.6 GLI 4A-FE engine.

Normally my AC button functions only when the fan is switched on, i.E. If the fan is off then the light on the AC button is off - even if it is in the pressed position.

Recently I faced a problem when my engine wouldn't start - so my mechanic changed my delco and swapped my engine controller. But the problem got fixed when I put my original controller back. Now however, my AC has developed this problem - as soon as I press the AC Button (even with the fan off) - the rpm goes to 1.8K - 2K and I can hear the AC Fan belt running. And there is no cool air when switching the fan on. My mechanic has pulled & plugged the " AC MG" relay as well, but the behavior is the same. I seek your advice on what the problem could be. Or where does the AC button connect that triggers the rpm and fan belt on.
Lecancy

Have your mechanic check the idle up solenoid its function is when the AC compressor kicks in-it comes in play by raising the RPM to compenaste for the load from the AC>

Alright. Yes I did see the rpm abruptly high. Infact today I heard the AC-MG relay making a loud cricket noise under the hood. My mechanic told me to replace it with a new one. I wonder if that is the cause for my AC switch to be on.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I shall put updates soon.

Lecancy
No one here believes me when I say that my Corolla was has an unidentifiable problem for the past 4 weeks : P

Anyways, an electrician fixed the A/C switch problem by replacing a blown fuse. Now the AC, rpm and and the radiator fan are fine.

But right now my radiator fan is direct. When the electrician plugged the fan switch back it blew the same AC fuse again. He couldn't find out what was wrong there.

Lecancy
The electrician should be able to track the short to ground if not get another one because he's weak