LOW IDLE IN GEAR IN COLD WEATHER

2005 Toyota Corolla

2005 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 48867 miles

Hey,

About three weeks ago when it started to get very cold, my car began to idle at a very low rpm when in drive (600rpm). This causes a lot of vibration and noise. If I put the car in neutral or park the idle goes back up to 900rpm. To try and combat the issue I have recently changed the oil, flushed the cooling system, changed the plugs, cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the air filter. THe car sems to run noticeably stronger after all of this but the idle issue remains.

Thanks,
Scott
Scootabill

If you are parked and turn the steering wheel does the idle go up? And when you turn AC compressor on does engine idle go up?

If not then most likely an IAC (idle air control) valve is malfunctioning.

Mmprince4000
Yes, the idle rpms go up when the steering wheel and/or the ac is turned on. I have been trying to do some reading on the IAC valve and have seen a lot of recomendations to clean it. I did clean the TB last night but it did not help. Any suggestions?

Scootabill
I believe the idle is adjustable via an idle adjustment screw on the 1ZZFE engine, but I would only adjust it as a last resort.

I would take to a ASE shop and have a diagnosis performed, the IAC may be bad, and if you adjust the idle screw you are masking the real problem.

Or, take the TB off and thouroughly clean it, including the IAC port, there may be carbon build-up on the throttle plate causing a low idle.

Mmprince4000
How could solve this problem because I have the same case AFTER BATTERY CHANGE THE IDLE IN CLEAN TROTTHLE 600,650 men, especially when braking MAKES ALL THE HOSE were checked and nothing

Briammanuelb