TIMING BELT OR CHAIN, WHEN TO REPLACE,

2002 Toyota Corolla

2002 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 57,875 miles

Was told by a friend that I should have the timing belt and water pump changed at 60,000. Which do I have? How much should it cost? Can I wait til 70,000 miles or would that be risky, stupid?
AuroraBob

Your vehicle has a timing chain which should only be replaced if it is damaged. No specific interval to replace it nor the water pump. If you suspect damage is done to the pump or chain, then you should have it inspected by a mechanic.

Thanks for the reply. I've never replaced a timing chain before or a water pump. Don't usually keep a car this long. What are symptoms of a bad chain or pump? Sound? Leaks? 58,000 miles.

AuroraBob
Bad chain it wouldn't run, bad water pump it would leak coolant, cause horrible noise and overheat

Bluelightnin6
Are you having a specific problem or just what your friend said?

The only maint. On the 1ZZFE VVTi engine is to change coolant every 2 years and plugs at 100k.

Of course change oil, brake pads as needed etc.

Mmprince4000
You guys are great. Thanks for the replies. Having NO trouble at this time, knock on wood. Thanks again for the tips and info.

AuroraBob
Thanks for using 2carpros.

Mmprince4000