JUDDERING

1999 Toyota Corolla

1999 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE:

I HAVE REPLACED A COMPLETE CLUTCH ON THE ABOVE CAR: HOWEVER THERE IS A JUDDER IN THE FIRST AND REVERSE GEAR. THE CLUTCH LEAVES TOO EARLY 2 INCHES FROM THE FLOOR.

I HAVE TRIED DAIKIN AND VALEO CLUTCHES NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING WELL.

PLEASE HELP

THANKS
Azma

Was flywheel resurfaced? New pilot bearing?

Docfixit
HI THANKS FOR THE INSTANT REPLY.

FLYWHEEL RESURFACING WAS NOT DONE I GUESS IT WOULD WORTH GETTING IT CHECKED. AS FOR PILOT BEARING THESE DON'T COME WITH THE COMPLETE CLUTCH. ITS AN EXTRA PART WHICH IS NOT EASY AVAILABLE.

ARE THERE ANY TIPS I COULD TRY OUT AT HOME TO VERIFY IF THE FLYWHEEL SURFACE IS WELL LEVELLED?

THANKS AGAIN & REGARDS
AZMA.

Azma
You would need a dial indicator gague to check surface. The rule is always turn flywheel and replace pilot bearing

Docfixit
HI,

I FOUND SOMETHING ELSE ON THE CLUTCH. WHEN THE CLUTCH PADDLE IS DEPREESED TO THE FLOOR COMPLETELY.

THE REALASE FORK DOES NOT ENGAGE FULLY TO THE REQUIRED IT ONLY MOVES ABOUT AN INCH.

DO TOYOTAS GENERALLY HAVE EXTREMELY SOFT CLUTCH PADDLE? AS FROM THE TIME I PURCHASED THIS CAR IT HAS ALWAYS HAD A VERY SOFT CLUTCH PADDLE DESPITE GEARS ENGAGING WAS SMOOTH UNTIL NOW.

I HAVE REPLACED THE CLUTCH 5 TIMES NOW IT WORKS WELL FOR A FEW DAYS THEN JUDDERING STARTS AND GEAR ENGAGING IS AN ISSUE.

I WILL HAVE THE PILOT BEARING REPLACED AND SEE IF THIS WORKS.

THANKS & REGARDS

Azma
HELLO,

I GOT THE FLY WHEEL CHECK ITS IN GOOD SHAPE
THE PILOT BEARING CHECKED. CLUTCH BLEEDING DONE.

NO REPLACMENTS REQUIRED BUT THE JUDDER IS STILL THERE.

WOULD YOU HAVE A DIAGRAM ON TO HOW ADJUST THE CLUTCH PEDAL POSITION AS THE PEDAL IS VERY SLACK GOES RIGHT TO THE FLOOR.

MAY BE THIS WOULD HELP

THNAKS

Azma
Clutch pedal heith adjust to 5.75 in. see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_374.jpg

Free play 1/2 in.

Docfixit
THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN THIS WOULD BE OF GREAT HELP.

JUST ONE MORE QUIRY: WHEN THE AUTHORISED DELAER REMOVED THE CLUTCH HE DID NOT MAKE THE MARKINGS. ON THE FLY HOUSE.

IS THERE A WAY WE COULD GET THE EXACT MARKING BACK OR ARE THESE FACTORY SET?

THANKS AGAIN

Azma
Not sure what your asking could you explain Markings?

Docfixit
THANKS

I UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN REMOVING THE CLUTCH SYSTEM FOR THE FIRST TIME THERE IS A FACTORY SETTING ON THE FLYWHEEL.

WHEN A NEW CLUTCH IS FITTED WE MUST ADJUST AS PER THE MARKINGS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ALIGNMENT I ASSUME!

I DID NOT NOTICE THIS MARKINGS OR ADJUSTING POINT IT THERE A WAY TO GET THE SETTING BACK.

IS THERE ANY OTHER SETTING THAT I COULD HAVE MISSED OUT?

AS FAR AS I KNOW THE CLUTCH FITTING IS NOT SO DIFFICULT ONE PART GOES ON TO THE OTHER.

I JUST CANT FIGURE OUT WHERE I HAVE GONE WRONG. THIS IS A HYDRUALIC CLUTCH NOT CABLE.

ONE THING THAT I FOR GOT TO MENTION WHEN THE LAST CLUTCH WAS REPLACED THE STARTER MOTOR STATED GIVING A VERY CRACKING NOISE WHEN SWITCHING THE IGNITION IT SOUNDS LIKE SOME METAL IS TOUCHING. I CHECKED THE STARTER IT WAS FIND THOU I GOT IT SERVICED BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE.

THANKS AGAIN

Azma
Found this as to Mark

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_376.jpg

maybe mark is on OEM clutch cover but it can only go on one way. Like I told you before have flywheel resurfaced

Docfixit