TIMING BELT QUESTION

1997 Toyota Corolla

1997 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 117500 miles

hello, I would like to know how much you think the average price for a 1997 toyota corolla to replace the timing belt at 120k miles also is it worth changing the water pump out too at the same time. Thank you
Pmp

You should replace the water pump while you are at it. You are at bit less than where both units usually fails. If you don't replace the water pump now, when the time comes to replace the pump, you have to re-replace the belt. You have to remove the belt to get to the water pump, and you should not re-use timing belt. It should cost you 4 hours of labor plus parts. Make sure you also replace the timing belt tensioner.

Zackman
Alright thank you for a response. I have a good mechanic doing the job. Will the car run any different with the new water pump and timing belt? Also should I wait till 119k miles or just get asap?

Pmp
If you have the money, I would do the work ASAP. You won't feel different, performance-wise, from the water pump and belt. You may hear less noise from the timing tensioner, a bit.

If you want to car to run more smoothly, I would suggest doing a tune-up. You are close to your 120K mile mark. 120K miles service include, but not limited to, spark plugs (make sure that they are either NGK or Denso brand), wires, distributor cap and rotor, filters (air, fuel and PCV valve), and transmission service.

Zackman
How much shuold a timing belt and water pum be average for a 97 corolla?

Pmp
New water pump should be around $50 - $60. Make sure you purchase the right one for your car. 97 Corolla has two different engine 1.6L 4AFE or 1.8L 7AFE. There are two different models of water pump, one made for Aisan and the other one is for Aisin Seiki. I don't remember which one goes to which engine.

Your timing belt should run you around $20, or timing belt set with tensioner for $60.

Zackman
I found a mechanic to do the whole job for 100 plus I buy the parts how do I no what type o engine I have I believe its the 1.8 but not sure. Also do you recommend any brands for both parts or just any brand from a auto zone.

Pmp
I actually just looked up my vin number on carfax and it says I have a 1.8 l4 fi engine.

Pmp
I don't think some people would like it if I recommend certain brands or bash certain store. But from personal experience, I like Cardone water pump, and Goodyear and Gates both make better belt and tensioner.

Zackman