BELTS LIKING TO ALTERNATOR, AIR CONDITI

1997 Toyota Corolla

1997 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

On last Friday, after several days on not using, when I drove the car, the battery light was on, and the steering wheel was heavy. I thought the battery was low, so I started the engine and kept it running idle for about 20 minutes. The next morning, I noticed that the battery light on the display area was still on, and the coolant was low, so I added some coolant and drove to Advanced Auto Parts to change the battery. After the change, I noticed that the battery light was still on, and all the visible belts liking to the Alternator, Air Conditioning, and Fan were not running, the Steer wheel was still heavy, and after only 2 mile drove home, the coolant was boiling and the coolant level dropped below the minimal level after the it cooled down.

I don't know if it an electrical or mechanical problem and how much will it cost to repair it.
Dengjianjin

It sounds like you are missing at least the belt that goes to the bottom pulley, or the crankshaft pulley, if this one is missing, non of the others will turn, so you will not charge the battery, turn the power steering pump, or the water pump, fix the belts bfore you drive it again, if you keep overheating this motor, you will have a major engine repair to worry about.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_corrolla_1.jpg

Merlin2021