109,000 MILES -- DIED

1997 Toyota Corolla

My Toyota died on me yesterday while I was driving. All the engine lights came on. At first it would not turn over again but after being off for a while it started up -- not trusting it I had it towed to a service station anyway.

Here's my question -- it sounds like the car needs a tune-up at least, possibly more. I work at a job where I sometimes have to drive home on a highway very late at night by myself, so I need to feel very sure that my car can be trusted. I just don't know if it is a good idea to repair this car (which has been great so far) or to get a new one -- I fear this is the beginning of the end. Any thoughts?
Liz K

I doubt it needs to be thrown away. But without more info its hard to even guess whats wrong. Did it turn over at all (Car tries to start but doesnt)? Where the rpms " going crazy" (up and down) before it shut off? If you decide to sell it can I buy it? Hehe. I really dont think whatever it has is a big problem, and once fixed, it shouldnt give you problems anymore, that is, if its just in need of a tune-up (spark plugs, etc), new battery, starter, or a ground wire came off.

Glenerik
I also agree with ^ that guy ^ heh. Once you get it worked out it shouldnt be a problem again but it sounds almost as if you may have loose battery terminals and it arced out causing the computer to reset hence you seeing all the gauges light up but lemme know good luck : )

Syncrait