TIMING BELT

1995 Toyota Corolla

1995 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 126000 miles

Is the toyota 1.6L L4 FI engine an interference engine that will suffer engine damage if the timing belt " breaks'.

I was told that toyota uses chains on their interference engines and belts on the non-interference type.

I was also told that the 1.8 L engine was not an interference engine, but the 1.6 was.

Please, I need the facts!

Coward3

Hello –

If you need to get back with me, please let me know if your model is just a Corolla, or the DX or LE model.

Well, I hate to say but from what I see, 1993-1997 Corolla’s have timing belts and they suggest replacement every 60,000 miles.

ARTICLE BEGINNING
MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE
The manufacturer recommends the belt be replaced at 60,000 mile intervals for severe service operating conditions.
TIMING BELT

I don’t see where this state’s it is a interference or non-interference engine. All I can say is the belt should have been changed twice by now.

The sad thing my good friend, if that brakes, which a belt can go at anytime, yes, it can cause either minor damage or totally destroy your engine.

Now we can provide the directions on how to remove and replace if you would like. But I would certainly change it as soon as possible.

I provided a pic for you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_F2_1.jpg

Also, the information I am looking at is for the 1.6L and the 1.8L engine.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Hey, while I still have you, you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_recalls_1.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
The Toyota factory manual does not state weather the 1.6 or the 1.8 are interference or not.

But, like ImpalaSS stated, you should have changed the belt twice by now.
Even if interference (and when you buy a replacement belt it does state, in the instructions that the 1.6 IS interference).

In any case, even if the engine is not interference, and belt breaks, you are stuck, car will have to be towed, and if belt breaks at speed, it is possible it could wrap around the lower pulley, and crack the oil pump housing.

I have the 1.6 and change it every 60K, it is good insurance.

Mmprince4000
According to the Gates application guide (Gates makes timing belts). This is not an interference engine.

This a car that I am thinking of buying, I don't have the service history, so the belt may have been changed.

Anybody know if there is a way to determine if this has been done?

Coward3
Hello –

Unless you have the service history etc………that would be pretty hard. If you removed the timing belt cover you could look at the belt………but that still isn’t 100%. You wouldn’t know “when” it was changed……. At what mileage count.

If the member had it done at a garage……. They usually keep history…….

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS