OVERDRIVE LIGHT FLASHING

1994 Toyota Corolla

1994 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My son has a 1994 Toyota Corolla and the overdrive light sometimes starts to flash and it feels like it is running in 1st gear. We left the car with our local Toyota dealer for a couple weeks because they were unable to pull up any codes when it wasn't flashing. They drove it off an on as time permited and couldn't get it to flash, although it seems to do it more after the car is warmed up so I don't think they were driving it long enough. They explained that if it is a computer problem, most of the computer stuff is located within the transmission itself and they just wanted to replace the transmission. Before my son commits to spending this kind of money, can you tell me if it is possibly something else? My husband did notice today that there is a cable under the hood, possibly a speed control cable, that seems to be very loose.
Bmcguffin

Hi there,

Have the transmission serviced and make sure all cables are adjusted as per specs. It is my understanding that the blinking light is a faulty indicator switch, I had this same problem with a member here last year and it proved to be a switch problem. I would have this inspected by a transmission specialist (not the dealer) first.
Good luck.

Mhpautos
I have a 1994 toyota camry that is doing the same thing on the dash overdrive light and the reverse light on the dash comes on when you use the breaks. ~ Just started last week.
My car if you go over say 25 MPH then break downshift (its automatic trany) it feels like its in low/first gear around 20 MPH.
This morning several techs in VA have said it was the Neutral Safety Switch. This part is about $250.00 and it sits on the transmission. You might find one at a junk yard cheapper.
I hope this helps. If you dont mind would you please post again if you have any more information.
G@W

Graphics@work