, LACK OF POWER AND MORE

1993 Toyota Corolla

1993 Toyota Corolla
153K miles, Manual Transmission

I went awhile without a gas cap, so I figure my problem is partly water damage related. I have a gas cap now, and and one point my car would not start. With a bottle of HEET and ten minutes of trying it eventually fired up. I've been through quite a few fuel cleaners now and I still have a huge lack of power. The idle is rough and hesitates every ~5 seconds. There is a rattle when I am in a high gear while going a slow speed. After sitting for awhile I get white smoke from the muffler off the start. My lack of power is defined by an inability to accelerate quickly, struggles with steep inclines, and a governor kicking in earlier than it has before. Also my MPG has dropped (probably expected).

I have replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, with hardly any improvement. Any suggestions?
NoSake

Try checking the throttle position, mass airflow sensor and restriction in the exhaust system.

Also check the PCV valve and the EGR valve.

BTW when was the last major tune-up?