RADIATOR FAN IS ALWAYS ON

1992 Toyota Corolla

Engine Cooling problem
1992 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

I degrease the engine of my corolla 92 with a special product and then rinse it with water. Since then, as I turn the ignition on, the radiator fan kicks on. There is also another fan that kicks on (the fan between the front grill and the AC radiator. I guess it is call the AC fan?). I've try to test the Engine Coolant Temperature Switch for CONTINUITY but I'm not sure of the result. The fan runs even when I disconnect that switch ( Is that normal? ). I've also test the Engine Main Relay (as describe in the Chilton's Repair Manual)and it is find. But I'm not sure where to find the Cooling Fan Relay that they are talking about in the Manual. Anyway, if anyone can help me.
Antoine
Antoine

The Engine Coolant Temperature Switch (when disconnected) will run the fan all the time. That is one procedure you can use to test the fan.
Either the switch fan is not making proper contact or a relay is stuck.
I would clean the fan switch with electronics cleaner and the connector, to assure they are making proper contact. The fan relays are in the engine compartment marked 1 and 2.
If that doesn't work, disconnect the negative battery cable and clean the fan relays and the main engine relay and blow any water or contamination out.
Make sure the AC switch is not on.

Mmprince4000