ENGINE SOMETIMES START AND NOT START

1992 Toyota Corolla

1992 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

hi,
for a few months now, my corolla had problems of not starting. I could hear clicks when I turned the key so I had it towed to a garage, they repaired the starter and changed the battery but still had the same problem of sometimes start and sometimes not.

next, they gave me a new starter and still same problem. Finally, I changed to another new battery and even new spark plugs and still the problem persists.

i asked the garage and a friend of mine if it could be the alternator but they seem to indicate that it is not that.

also, they mentioned that it could be my after market alarm but after disconnecting the alarm system, I still have the trouble of not starting.

thanks
Corolla-dude

IGNITION SWITCH & CIRCUIT TEST Camry, Celica & Corolla 1. Remove driver's lower instrument panel cover. Remove upper and lower steering column covers if needed. Locate ignition switch wiring harness connector. (Camry and Celica have a 10-cavity connector; Corolla has 8-cavity connector). 2. Using test light, backprobe White wire terminal of ignition switch wiring harness connector. If test light glows, go to step 4). If test light does not glow, check for blown Black or White fusible link in wiring harness near battery or in fusible link box near battery. 3. Also check large amperage fuses (ALT and AM1) in engine compartment fuse/relay block. If fusible link and fuses are okay, check for open in White wire to ignition switch. Repair as required. 4. Using test light, backprobe Black/White wire terminal of ignition switch wiring harness connector. Turn ignition switch to START position. If test light does not glow, replace ignition switch. If test light glows, check Black/White wire circuit for open or short from ignition switch through neutral start switch or through clutch start switch on to starter relay. Repair wiring as required.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Relay_3.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Graphic_6.jpg

Merlin2021