CRUISE 180,000 MILES

1991 Toyota Corolla

Cruise light on dash comes on when pushed, but when using SET on the stalk it doesn't hold speed.

There is no fuse listed in the manual or the fuse lid for the cruise control.

Which part commonly fails on these?

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Wtdash

Check the ECU fuse and Ign fuse. Other than that the vehicle can be scanned through on-board diagnostics to see if the computer has an issue with something in the system

Jack42
Jack, if the light comes on the fuse is good. In 91 it was fused through the accessory circuit.

One question that hasn't been asked is if it is after market. Most Corollas of that vintage didn't have cruise. With no fuse listed it has to be an after market.

The most common cause is a vacuum line leak to the cruise servo, the vacuum servo or a bad switch in the stalk. There is also a beaded chain that accuates the throttle. If there is too much slack, it will cause the problem.

The processor doesn't enter into the circuit.

Remember, basics before computers.

Let me know

losone

Losone
It's a factory/OEM cruise. Only option on the car. The stalk also does the intermittent wipers (option #2?), Which work fine.

I'll replace the servo(s) and maybe tackle the stalk - that requires a bunch of work to replace, it appears.

Thanks,
Todd

Wtdash