COOLING SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK

1989 Toyota Corolla

Heater problem
1989 Toyota Corolla Engine Size unknown Two Wheel Drive Automatic 265000 miles

MY FAN DOESNT GO ON WHEN I CONECT IT MANAULY TO THE BATTERY IT DOES WORK BUT CAR STILL HEAT UP FAST TOOK OUT THE T5HEMOSTAT TO SEE IF IT WORKS OR IF WORN DOES NOT WORK PLEASE HELP MY CAR IS JUST STANDING NOW
Craigniki

Overheating problem relates to 2 things that is an airflow or circulation problem. Lets try doing this 1st before going deep6 on it.

Try bleeding it see below

Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks.

THANKS FOR THAT NOW WHAT ABOUT THE FAN ISNT THAT SUPOSE TO COME ON AND IS IT ESENTIAL TO HAVE COOLENT

Craigniki
The electric fan should be coming On-if not could be the temperature gauge switch or the coolant temperature sensor when use by the computer to energize the fan relay and then to the fan.

Try direct power to the fan-see if it will operate-

Could you tell me where the temp gauge nd the themo sensor would be I will gladly apriciete it thanks

Craigniki
See illustration below

Temperature switch

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_temp_switch_1.jpg

Coolant temperature sensor

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cts_6.jpg

Could you mabey show me in pic where the bleed bolt is I realy wana fix the car myself

Craigniki