, FX, 124000 MILES.CAR WONT CRANK.

1988 Toyota Corolla

1988, Toyota Corolla FX, 124000 miles.

I am unable to crank the car. When I try doing so the battery terminals become excessively hot. The battery is almost brand new and I also had it tested.

The car made a loud clicking/grinding noise from somewhere near ( or from) the engine before it came to a halt.

Does the alternator have to be changed? Or could it be something else too?
Ncchetan

Without being there, it sounds like the engine has locked up. The noises in the engine give it away. Good Luck --let me know

Losone
Thanks for your reply.
I am a novice when it comes to cars. I have a few questions about what you said.

What does the engine being locked up mean?

Also, I read somewhere that loud clicking and grinding noises emanate when the aternator dies. Could it be possible that, the battery terminals getting hot, and the noises that came from the engine was because of a possibly bad alternator?

Ncchetan
Take off all the belts and then try and turn the engine over. It will isolate anything driven by the fan belt.

If it still won't turn over then put a tool on the crankshaft pully and try and hand turn the engine.

If it does turn over then the starter is the problem. If not you will need a new engine.

Locked up means that a piston, main or rod bearing had frozen to it's component metal surface and caused the engine to seize. It means a new (another) engine. Let me know

Losone