REVERSE GEAR MAKES CLICKING NOISE

1998 Toyota Carina

1998 Toyota Carina 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

My everything of the transmission is perfectly alright except when I put the gear on reverse. There is a clunk when I m putting the gear one reverse. Thats the only problem. The reverse gear shifts instantly with that sound. Is there any problem with that?
Narefeen2003

Hi narefeen2003,

That would depend on where the noise is coming from. It could be the engine mounts or drive trains having excessive clearances.

Narefeen2003
I think its from the transmission. It occurs more clearly when transmission is hot. But there is no problem in shifting

Narefeen2003
With the age and mileage on the vehicle, some wear would be eminent and if the fluids have not been replaced for a long tme, check the level and condition and if necessary, replace it.

If it is from within the trans, it could be getting old and it is an indication it is on its way out. There is nothing you can do about it except use until it fails, unless you wish to have it rebuilt or replaced.