TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP

Toyota Camry

1983 Toyota Camry, 70,000 miles, 4clyd engine.

About two weeks ago, my car's timing belt broke. I had it towed to the local toyota service center, where they replaced the timing belt and driver belt for $450. Just a few days ago, however, my car broke down in the exact same manner as it did when the timing belt broke. I had it towed to the same service center.

However, they are now telling me that the timing belt broke AGAIN, but that it is not their fault! Their claim is that my water pump failed and this caused the timing belt to break, which in turn gauged the timing belt cover. They say they will replace the water pump, gasket, thermostat and timing belt cover for $300, and throw in the new timing belt and labor on that at no charge.

What should I do--this seems pretty suspicious, and I'd like to know if they are really responsible for the second broken timing belt and are just trying to screw me out of an extra $300?

PS: Wouldn't they know if the water pump was 10 days away from failing when they repaired the timing belt the first time? And is it even possible that a failed water pump would cause a broken timing belt?

Thanks!
Mlandri1

It is possible they are correct, if the waterpump siezed it could break the belt or if coolant got on the belt, it should be changed.
If the AC compressor siezed it could also break the belt.
Normally shops replace only what is necessary, while it may have been a good idea to rotate the waterpump to see if you hear anything, a bearing should make some noise (waterpump), unless they are saying coolant leaked on the belt.
I would simply ask for a more detailed explaination from the as to what caused the second timing belt failure, a siezed WP or coolant contamination.
Still; sounds like they are trying to work with you. You could also check the local BBB to see if they have any/alot of consumer complaints.

Mmprince3000
Here, you got the best of the world's finest auto experts you can imagine.

My advice is quit going there, lesson learned. Each and one us has a specialty or masters in automotive servicing that can assist you in any given automotive problems. Next time check-in with small donation a lot cheaper than an independent shop/dealer. We need donation to run this site-don't be surprise if you comeback and we're no longer here.

Good Luck!