ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T TURN OVER

Toyota Camry

1998 Toyota Camry with 75,000 miles. 4 cylinder. Car was in the driveway idling when I heard a loud sound coming from the pulley area of the belts. Then fluid started leaking from the same area. Turned the car off and the fluid continued to drain. Quite a bit of fluid. It was clear with an oily texture. Oil fine, antifreeze fine, brake and steering fine, transmission fluid fine. I was thinking a busted water pump. The car cranks well but won't turn over. Can a busted water pump prevent the car from turning over?
Bill s

Hi there,

Your water pump may have failed and damaged the engine timing belt. You will have to remove the timing belt covers and inspect for any damage.

Mhpautos
That is what I was thinking. Is it that the timing belt breaks first, then the water pump? Just curious.

I'd still like to know if anyone has other thoughts.

Bill s
Hi there,

If the timing belt failed it will not affect the water pump, it just won't drive it that's all, I feel that the water pump bearing has failed and collapsed, with this, the pump drive pulley will be miss aligned with the idler, cam & crankshaft gears/ pulleys and the belt has walked off or failed as a result.

Mhpautos
Thanks mhpautos. I appreciate your insight. I'll let you know the problem when I find out.

Bill s
Mark.

The waterpump busted, which in turn, tore-up the timing belt. 4 hours of labor isn't cheap. Damn.

Bill s