98 2.2L HOW DO YOU REMOVE CAM/CRANK OIL SEAL?

1998 Toyota Camry

I am going to change the timing belt, water pump, tensioner. In doing so, how do I remove the front camshaft/crankshaft oil seal? Where can I buy the special tool to remove it? Also, I read on one of the topics here that I have to reseal the oil pump. Is this easy?

I am really short on cash and I just wanted to do it myself. I already changed the timing belt before(95,000 miles) with the help of a repair manual but not the other parts. My car has 190,000 miles now.
DansCar

You can buy that tool in the autoparts, but its not that hard to take the seals out,
be sure you have the " Timing belt kit" that include the seals the tensioner bearing and all the gaskets, also I recommend you to install a " new" water pump not reconditioned because its one of the most important part in your engine also one of the most important " tip": expend more time cleaning and stripping old gaskets remember Its nice to work with a clean Engine!

Also make a drawing off your engine on a cardboard and every screw you take off insert it on the card board drawing.

Be sure also That you have The " marks" and the route on the belt.

Good Luck!

Hope it helps!

Fisherman
You dont need a special too, two long screwdrivers work just fine, and there is no kit for t-belt, tap new seal in with small hammer, and back end of a small socket, but do buy new pullys

Buzzsaw
Thank you Fisherman and Buzzsaw for the response.

Buzzsaw, Can I ask why do I need new pulleys when the old one seems fine. Is that the crank/alternator/power steering pulleys? Or the tensioner/bearing pulleys? Or the cam/crank/oil pump sprockets?

DansCar

Buzzsaw, Can I ask why do I need new pulleys when the old one seems fine. Is that the crank/alternator/power steering pulleys? Or the tensioner/bearing pulleys? Or the cam/crank/oil pump sprockets?[/Quote: b09663a137]

there is an adjuster pully, for the t-belt, it can look ok but if it hasnt ever been replaced ( preventive mataince ) usually put on at 120 k dont want to pay for a belt twice

Buzzsaw