95 , 2.2 (AUTOMATIC) - LACK OF POWER- PROBLEM SOLVED

1995 Toyota Camry

I recently purchased a 95 Toyota Camry with 128k miles on it.

Everything is fine on it other then when accelerating from a stop, The engine likes to ping, and it takes a while to get up to speed.

At higher speeds around 40-50+ it will not go over 3000 rpms - if you let off the gas it is jumpy (feels like inside the transmission or something) the tranny fluid is full and all other fluids are at sufficient levels, it lacks power and bogs out if you push the pedal all the way down. Climbing hills it likes to loose alot of power as well.

I will be changing the fuel filter tomorrow, Spark plugs and wires have been changed.
I figure it could be a number of things like timing, maybe a transmission problem.

Checked the air filter out and cleaned out a small mouse nest from that. Seemed to be some part of the problem, but still has the same lack of power and not liking to get over accelerated / shift weird.

The check engine light is not on. ( I hear they dont come on very often even if there is problems at times with o2 sensors and stuff on these earlier models *possibly lol. )

It runs good other then when you try to accelerate (engine ping), let off the gas while going over 30mph+ (gets jumpy) or go over 40-50 mainly around 60mph on average at 3000+ rpms. (Lacks power and bogs out after 3k or gunning it)

Thanks - Jay
Dj_2cb

Changed the fuel filter - didnt help.

Checked fuel pressure - that was fine.

So checked for back pressure off the o2 sensor by top catalytic converter. Had no backpressure so figured converter was fine and not plugged up.

Checked the timing, it was off by quite a few degrees. Very jumpy as well. Figure someone tried setting it higher to compensate for the lack of power, Decided to check the timing belt.

Took off the timing belt cover and saw that the timing belt was off by a few teeth (jumped timing maybe) loosened up the tensioner and readjusted the timing belt into the correct position and now it runs great, readjusted the timing to 10 degrees.

No more bogging, pinging, or lack of power when accelerating. : )

Dj_2cb