93 LE

1993 Toyota Camry

1993 Toyota Camry LE
4 door sedan
4 cylinder
AT Transmission
150,000 miles

I've been having somewhat of an issue with the horn recently. There are a few odd symptoms connected to the problem that I've been having. Basically, once the engine has completely warmed up and I'm driving around with the headlights on the horn will start blaring of it's own accord(steadily on, not on and off as an alarm system may produce). Note: This only happens if the headlights are turned on, and the horn will immediately stop if they are turned off. This does provide somewhat of a problem as I get off work at 1am and have to drive in the dark.

The only recent maintenance has been replacing a section of the muffler near the manifold as it was leaking excess exhaust and I'd like to do my part by keeping it running clean. The battery is a bit old and probably in need of replacement but I'm not sure if that would be the cause.

There is an after-market alarm system that's been installed since before I owned the car. I'm not sure if this is connected to the problem, but it does have an engine kill feature (and a kill switch) if the alarm goes off. I do not own the clicker for it and it seems non-operational for the most part (it sure didn't go off when the window was broken and my cd-player stolen). Very rarely when I open the vehicle if it's extremely hot inside the alarm will go off, and require the key in the on position + kill switch flipped to deactivate it. Could the alarm system be at all connected to the issue I've been experiencing with the horn?

Any advice for detection of the source of the problem would be much appreciated.
Danboy

The security guard system is tied in with the lights and horn when activated recommend that alarm system be checked.

Will do. I've picked up a Haynes manual as well and temporarily removed the horn to see if it helped. The horn that I removed was in front of the radiator just behind the grill. However, this was the only horn mechanism available in the manual. When tested the horn still sounds so I assume there's something I'm missing here. Disconnected from the bracket and power source, sounding from another area. I'll probably just end up taking it into a shop for further investigation.

Any recommendations on whether it should go to a Toyota dealership or any other type of body/mechanic shop?

Danboy

Any recommendations on whether it should go to a Toyota dealership or any other type of body/mechanic shop?[/Quote: f82bcbdd52]

Find the horn relay at the fuse/relay #2 on left inner fender panel-remove relay and check again. Could be that the horn switch in the steering is shorting out that's the one that completes the horn circuit to come On by grounding it.

The problem with Toy's there's a million of relays involved they could be 3-relays in one particular component circuit but only one will control it. For example the fans up front.

Cannot find it bring it to Toy's they're the one that made it

Good Luck

Thanks for the help!

I went ahead and took it into a Toyota dealership, and it appears that the electrical system for the car itself is still in good working order.

It does seems as though the alarm system was the cause of it after running a diagnosis on all the components. So basically, that just needs to be removed and will be done at a time when there's a bit more money in the bank. ; )

For now, the circuit in the alarm system connected to the horn has been disconnected. If the problem persists, I'll likely just pull the fuse to cut power to the horn altogether.

Danboy