OIL CONSUMPTION

2007 Toyota Camry

2007 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Automatic 52,000 miles

I noticed that my Toyota Camry consumed 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles right after I purchased it in 2007. They stated that it was more than likely because of the newness of the vehicle. Finally, after writing a letter and demanding that the problem be corrected, they have now offered to do other testing. These are the test they have completed: cylinder compression test, leak-down test, removed and inspected all spark plugs, and bore scope all the cylinders. Test showed no problems.

The final result was that the factory told the dealer to order a short block. My question is, is a short block the best solution for the consumer? Should a new engine be installed? What are some of the possible draw backs if the factory will only authrize a short block intead of a long block.

I need advice quickly as I am discussing this on Monday August 10th with the dealer.

Thank you
Jillianmurrell

Hi there.

Thank you for the donation,

The short engine or block solution is what I would expect, this is the block, crank new pistons rings & bearings, new oil pump. Toyota have had a few problems with damaged oil control rings on camry and corolla's over the years, and a short engine is the best solution for this, I would expect that the head will be surfaced and pressure tested as well as a precaution and thi sis really just one step away from a full new engine, for them to be doing this on a 2007 car, if it was mine I would be very happy indeed.

Mhpautos