TOYOTA CAMRY ENGINE PROBLEM

2003 Toyota Camry

2003 Toyota Camry 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 125552 miles

My check engine light came on (and remains on) after taking my car to Toyota for an oil/filter change and a smog check (which it failed). The service advisor said it is okay to drive the car as long as the light is not flashing. Is this true? Please advise.
SDKnuckles

Partly yes. Flashing check engine light means very serious combustion problem that WILL damage the catalytic converter.

But still, I would have someone plug in an OBD-ii scanner to see all the codes. Autozone in some areas still performs this service for free. You can also go to CSK/O'Reilly and " borrow" their scanner for a deposit. They also partner up with a shop in the area to scan customers' vehicle for free. Just ask them to where to go.

Once the scan is completed, please post the code numbers here and we will help diagnose.

On the side note: I am surprised that the dealership won't plug in its scanner while you were there getting the service.

Zackman
The Code from the smog check is PO500 (speed sensor malfunction).

SDKnuckles
Are you gauges working? Specifically speedometer, tachometer and odometer?

Zackman