BRAKE CALIPERS

2002 Toyota Camry

Brakes problem
2002 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

Good Afternoon! Yesterday my brake caliper on the right side decided to clamp down and not release the rotor. I brought my car to the dealership and they are saying that I have to replace the caliper and the rotor. I brought my car in not a month and a half ago b/c there was an unusual high pitched squealing noise every time I braked. The repair people said that my brakes were fine and that that was the noise new brakes make. I wasn't satisfied with the answer but I trusted they were talling me the truth. Now with my caliper and rotor messed up I can't help but wonder if there was something that could have been caught and handled to prevent this back when I brought it in a month and a half ago. They are still saying there was nothing wrong a month ago but now there was. Is it possible that the squealing was a warning sign of my caliper issue?
Lilwolfer22

Hi lilwolfer22,

When brake calipers locks up, it can be due to the following.

1. Brake hose clogged.
2. Caliper piston jammed.
3. Slider bolts jammed.

The squealing during brake might not be related to the above and is only the pads wearing in.

When the brake pads were replaced, the brake piston and slider bolts should have been inspected and tested for smoothness of travel.