FUEL CUTOFF

2001 Toyota Camry

2001 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Automatic 103000 miles

Hi,

I don't really know much about cars, but my Toyota has been having a problem lately. When I go to pump the automatic shut off that happens when it is full happens after every few cents. My dad took it to a mechanic who blew out the filter or something like that and he was able to get almost a dollar in at a time by pumping very slowly, but it still keeps shutting it off.

Do you have any idea why it would shut off all the time?

Thanks!
Michellebonville

So, your saying that the automatic shut off when you filling gas shuts off all the time?

Stevew84
Exactly! The mechanic blew out the filters beside the hole where you put the pump. We tried moving the pump pulling it part way out, everything!

Michellebonville
I would say there is something wrong with your on board vapor recovery system. There is a vent that is on top of your tank that is supposed to take the fuel vapors while you are refueling to the charcoal canister. I think that vent is stuck closed. Its on top of your gas tank.

Stevew84
Ok, I'll check that out. Thanks so much!

Michellebonville
So, I finally got a mechanic that figured out my problem. Apparently mud dobbers got in there and the gas and air couldn't get through the nest and that is why it was coming back up. LOL. Never heard of such a thing! Thanks for your ideas though!

Michellebonville