TIMING BELT & VALVE COVER GASKET

1998 Toyota Camry

1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

At how many miles should I get my Timing Belt replaced? What would be a reasonable cost? Also the cost for a Valve Cover Gasket repair job, what would be correct price and when should it be done?
Thanks.
Esp22

Timing belts should be replaced around 80,000 miles and don't let it break as that causes damage. At the mileage interval that you are at now you should check you air filter and change your oil and filter. When the valve cover is off you should have your vavle lash clearence check too.
Timing belt should cost about. $260 parts and labor
As for the valve cover and valve adjustemnt that should cost between $150 to $225 depending on wheather is a SOHC or DOHC engine. Hope this helps if there is anything else just ask. Thanks.

Racefan966
Thanks so much for the answer.
I'm concerned about a mechanic that I brought the car to who said it would be about $1100 for the timing belt job! That seems excessive relative to what you told me in your answer. What do you think?
Elizabeth Camry Owner

Esp22
It is very expensive. I would call around and get some quotes and ask around friends and such and see who that trust too. As a mechanic myself never go with the first one and when it seems high go with your gut and call around and check.
The timing belt calls for 3 hours at a cost of $225 so that calculated at $75 dollars an hour. So ask what the labor rate is too.
The timing belt at the dealer costs $36.46 and if it needs the tensioner or idler they cost $101.57 and $58.79 and added labor should only be about $15 dollars more. So do the math and it still don't add up.

Racefan966
THANKS. What a great service you offer - to give consumers an objective, professional answer.
Have a great day. I really appreciate your help.

Esp22
No problem thats how it should be done in the first place if it was it would be easier for us mechanics to make a living. Thanks and you have a great day as well.

Racefan966