STALLING,BRAKE LIGHT AND RADIO PRESETS

1998 Toyota Camry

1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

car runs fine except once in a while when braking car stalls. Car starts back up running rough for a minute then runs fine again. Radio presets are wiped clean and left brake light burns out. Vacuum hoses were checked and are fine. Im thinking a short of some sort in the electrical system. Could this cause car to stall?
Vinper1

Hi vinper1,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptoms indicates a wiring fault. Radio presets are stored in memory which receives constant power from the Radio fuse # 1 ( 20 A) in engine compartment fuse box.

I believe you have a loose connection or a bare wire somewhere that is affected by the braking. The sudden motion of the vehicle due to braking could be causing the connector to shift and the wire to short momentarily.

I would suggest checking the connectors at the underhood fusebox to the underdash. Check also for loose wires or harness that are affected by the brake pedal.

Does the brake bulb fuses each time the mentioned problem occurs?

Thanks for the prompt answer.I checked the fuses for radio and brake lights and they are ok. Also checked harness and connectors and did not notice any loose or frayed wires.I also cleaned up battery terminals again. Sometimes car runs fine for weeks and then it will stall when coming to a light. My main question is what in the electrical system would cause stalling that is random and unpredictable?

Vinper1
A failing ignition switch would cause stalling and it could be unpredictable. Dashlights might flicker indicating intermittent open circuit.