WON'T SHIFT GEARS - LINKAGE PROBLEM

1997 Toyota Camry

1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

My son backed out of the driveway, and car would then not change gears - stuck in reverse. The shift lever moves back and forth with little resistance but the car stays in reverse. I suppose some sort of linkage is broken between the shifter and the transmission. Can this be easily repaired by an amateur mechanic?

Never posted anything here before but would be greatful for some guidance.
Keithbrian

Hi keithbrian,

Check the linkage at the transmission end to check if it has been dislodged.

Actually it turns out that the problem was that the base of the shifter, was disconnected from the metal rod that goes down through the floor to the transmission. By putting the round end of the rod back over the stem at the base of the shifter I was able to operate the car. However, there was apparently a small plastic piece that holds the rod onto the shifter base that had broken off. I now need to get that piece. I have someone checking the junkyard today. Any suggestions?

Keithbrian
That should be a plastic bush and it should be held in place by a washer and clip.

If you have difficulty getting the part, try snipping a short plastic hose ( those that they use for aquariums would do) to use as a bushing.