Mechanics

EMISSION CODES P0401

1997 Toyota Camry

Engine Mechanical problem
1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 169883 miles

SImple question that I hope has a simple answer. I am looking to pinpoint the problem so I don't get overcharged for the repair. So my question is, what does error code P0401 really mean? It says EGR Flow Insufficient Detected but what does that really mean? What part actually failed if any? How much would something like that cost to get fixed?
AD
Avatar
Sdavidsonjr
March 28, 2008.




Im giving you what most likely is the problem. The egr solenoid fail on this car frequently and should cost about 150 to 200 to repair at a shop

Tiny
Mastertechtim
Mar 28, 2008.
Is this something that I could fix or is that not recommended?

Tiny
Sdavidsonjr
Mar 28, 2008.
You can fix it. Now I cant say for sure this will fix it but in most cases it does. The valve is located at rear of engine and you must access it under the vehicle. Not alot of room to move.

Tiny
Mastertechtim
Mar 28, 2008.
I removed and cleaned an egr on the exact same vehicle this evening. It can all be done " top side" with the proper extending tools and a long arm.

I am trying to help a buddy with his emissions issues. He says he had the egr replace just a few months ago. Are we looking at a vacume leak. Or another culpret? I am not familiar with Toyotas inparticular. If the egr has been replaced to no avail. Should th evaulve to the left of it get replaced too?
AD

Tiny
=LIGS=elvis
Aug 23, 2008.
That and or the egr solenoid. The valve itself never fixes it, for some reason they dont go bad, 85 percent chance its the egr solenoid and 15 percent its the back pressure valve

Tiny
Mastertechtim
Aug 24, 2008.

AD