CAR IDLING REALLY HIGH!

1997 Toyota Camry

1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 154000 miles

my 97 camry idles really high, about 2,000 RPM. No check engine light on.I took it into a shop, they ran a diagnostic on it, nothing turned up. But they found that the spark plugs were in desperate need of being replaced, so he replaced them. The car ran fine for about 2 weeks. Now the same problem happens again. Also when I put it in park, it idles really high, so when turning the car off at high idle it runs a little then shuts off. So when trying to start it back up again, it wont right away, once it does, the car idles high, it sputters, then when I put it in gear, it shuts off, and it happens constantly. I went and bought fuel injector cleaner as well as gas treatment fluid. This was two days ago, let car run for 20 minutes, no effect. What do I do? I would appreciate your input. Thanks.
Jon_tru

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor. Also the throttle plate could be binding in its bore and kinked accelerator cable, coolant temperature sensor might not be operating properly misleading the computer that the engine is still cold and computer throwing fuel at it raising the idle speed.

Hi there, thanks for the input. Let me tell you what I have done so far. I replaced the TPS(throttle position sensor) still high idle. As well as replacing the PCV Valve, same thing still going on. I'm kind of starting to narrow it down a little, so thats good! But, I did find that what I think to believe might be doing it is the idle speed control motor/valve. The tip does not interact with the throttle, I beleive? The round thing connected to the gas pedal cable. They do not touch, it only touches when the car is off. Also I noticed that after I replaced the TPS and PCV valve, it smells pretty foul, like a rotten egg mixed with gas fumes, what can that be? I'd appreciate more input, I just wanna get the small things squared away before I move on to the big things. Thank you guys.

Jon_tru
Check the TPS closed and WOT voltages