IGNITION LOCK

1996 Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 226000 miles

My ignition lock will not turn on my car, and I wanted to know how to fix this. (Will not turn to ACC or anything). My steering wheel is also locked at the moment, and have tried to turn the wheel and the key at the same time to fix. I tried lubing the lock, and working the key. I have taken apart the dash and steering cover and can see the ignition lock. I heard it is possible to drill the release pin, or remove the lock from the steering column. Where would I need to drill at and what size bit, etc? Also, I heard that the ignition lock could be broken by using a flat had screwdriver and wrench to force the lock to turn, is this true? Thanks for any help.
Customkid

Hi Customkid,

To break the tumblers would require quite a lot of force.

To remove the lock assy you need to drill the 2 safety bolts and the size required is 8mm. You can try unlocking by using a centre punch and use a hammer to tap the bolt loose, DO NOT use too much force.

With the steering wheel turned and held without the locks forced in engagement, try wiggling the key. If you can turn the key to ACC, the key cylinder can be removed by pushing in the locking pin and pulled out with the key.