CAR ALARM SYSTEM

1996 Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Automatic 195K miles

Help! My Car alarm wont go off unless I disconnect the battery. There is a switch just above the pedals that doesn't do anything (looks like a kill switch). This problem began when the car wouldn't turn over. The alarm quickly sounded for about three muinutes, then it stopped, only to begin again when I opened the car door to get out. Again, the only way I can disable the alarm at this point is to disconnect the battery ( I got a new one, thinking an old battery mght be contributing to the problem). Do I need to pull out a fuse, and if so, which one? My owner's guide/manual has absolutely nothing about an alarm system, or a key to which fuses go with what. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Ande
Andoo

Mine is acting the exact same way. Did you find a fix for it?

Thanks!

Ehlin
Mine does the same thing-- the alarm goes off at random times-- VERY annoying.
I discovered that the following sequence will
turn it off: 1. Use the key to open the door
2 start the car
3 turn car off
4 start the car again.

Also, my husband discovered that he could pull the fuse for the horn, and then the alarm connot go off (but then you can't use the horn)

Linda72
I just figured mine out. This is what I did.
1. If the alarm is going off, unhook the battery.
2. Put the key in the switch.
3. Above the parking brake pedal there is a small toggle switch.
4. Reconnect the battery.
5. Turn the key to the battery on position.
6. Flip the toggle switch. The alarm light should go solid. If not, flip it back the other way.
That's it!

Marvinhorton