1996 Toyota Camry Repair Question
1996 Toyota Camry Bad Alternator or battery?
The other day my car would not start but my lights still turned on. A couple hours later my car was completely dead, so i charged my battery and my alarm was going off so i knew it was the battery. Later on that night my car was running and then my headlight went out. The next morning my car didn't start so i bought a new battery. My car was running fine until the next day it would not start. My dad looked at it and said the clamp was loose on the battery and then it started fine. Well the next day it didn't start at all. Do you think it is the alternator or something else? Thanks so much!
Some basic checks should sort this out.
1. Battery charged. terminals clean & tight.
2. Earth points clean and tight.
3. Alternator belt tight. (about 3-5mm deflection)
5. Alternator is charging 13-14.5 Volts.
6. Alternator main cable (10mm) tight.
7. Main battery cable at starter tight.
8. 12V at starter solinoid wire (small push on terminal at starter) when key turned to start.
If all this is correct you will have no problem with cranking over.
26,913 answers provided