REPLACE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP

1995 Toyota Camry

1995 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 260000 miles

Using Haynes manual to replace water pump. 1st time dealing with a timing belt. 1ST phase went well. Car on jacks, motor supported, front wheel removed and skirt, all components remove to access timing cover, negative on battery disconnected, removed distributor to see rotor position. Did not remove plugs. I removed the top #2 timing cover. Rotated crankshaft bolt and verified TDC ( crankshaft pulley notch pointed at zero and camshaft spocket aligned with mark on camshaft bearing cap, also verified rotor pointing towards #1 cylinder plug wire). Made match marks on belt camshaft spocket. I losened idler pulley and removed tension spring.
Now for the problem. Having problems loosening the crankshaft bolt. Tried prybar with screwdriver in crankshaft pulley.
Tried prybar against oil pan. Then I tried strap wrench. When I done this, the crankshaft pulley turned and the belt turned and the camshaft pulley
remained stationary. Match marks are off. I tightened tension pulley back and rotated crankshaft to attempt TDC. Camshaft pulley is off mark and match marks are off.
Need advice/technique on lossening bottom crankshaft bolt.
Need advice/technique on lining up crankshaft with camshaft and getting back to TDC.
Thanks!
Barry Roberson

Ok with out being able to keep the crank from turning I would recomend checking if a local rental place or parts store that may rent tools. I would rent a 1/2 drive electric impact this will give you the edge on getting that bolt out as it torqued to 80ftlbs and when you crank the engine it tends to get tighter.

Racefan966
You will need an impact wrench to remove the bottom bolt.These are available to rent at a rental yard or possibly a local auto parts store, an electric one should do the trick.Then top to get the balancer off itis easiest to unstall apuller to remove it although it doesnt really press on that hard, you could remove it by prying evenly on the back on both sides at the same time to pop it off (Install bolt a little to keep it from falling off). Then you will need to line up marks according to the pics below.A mirror is very helpful in lining up the cam mark

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_yota1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_yota2_2.jpg

Jack42