ENGINE WON'T TURN OVER

1995 Toyota Camry

1995 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

I have a rather difficult problem. I just replaced all piston rings. I couldn't loosen the crank bolt and wedged a breaker bar against the ground and tapped the starter. Bolt came out no problem. Accidental tapped again and heard the starter spinning up but not engaging. Proceeded to take engine appart and replace rings. Got everything put back together starter still doing the same thing. Took starter apart, but didn't see any damage. Charged battery (thought perhaps there wasn't enough amperage to turn engine over). Still same problem. Got a remanufactured starter at Pep Boys. Still same problem. I hear the starter spinning, and the it grabs the flywheel for a split second, but as soon as the engine starts building compression the starter lets go. While I hear the starter spinning I also see the accessory belts spinning but very slowly. I thought perhaps the flywheel (automatic) got damaged. Took off transmission and couldn't see any physical damage. I am stumped. What could it possibly be? I am able to turn the engine over with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. It seems to turn over smoothly. Could it be that I got a defective starter? Please help.
Gadorjan

If it isn't to difficult I would pull the starter and take it back and have them test it. Tell them what it is doing this way they can test it more then once to see if it will do that to them too. If it don't then I need to know if you have a digital multi meter so we can do a test on the starter circuit. Let me know what you find.

Racefan966
The transmission is currently off the car so yeah the starter is removed. I already had it tested and it passed however it was not being tested under load (I'm not sure if they do that), and new starter sounded exactly the same. Yes I do have a multimeter. I was going to start putting the transmission back today. If there is no physical damage on the flywheel, could the problem be there, or is it safe to put the tranny back on?

Gadorjan
Ok once the everthing is back together do a starter draw test. Hook up you volt meter to the battery and make sure you have the 12 volts+ and then try to start it, the volts should not drop lower then 9.5 - 10 volts. If it drops more then that then the starter is drawing to much. Also make sure the small wire on the starter is getting power with key in the start possition. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

Racefan966