TRANSMISSION FAILURE

1994 Toyota Camry

1994 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

hi I have a 94 camry.
while driving on a hot day, transmission failed and car was unable to accellerate. After inspecting the vehicle for obvious problems, car had cooled down and transmission worked fine for another 4kms or so. Then same problem occured. The car felt as if it had slipped into neutral. When trying to accellerate, there was an increase in RPM but no forward movement.
can you suggest what problem has occured or anyway of finding out what the problem is? And also if there is a way of fixing this particular problem, short of buying a new gearbox.
regards,
steve
Steve94camry

Hi there,

There is very little you can do yourself, check the transmission oil level and if low top up, does it smell burnt? Is it a dirty brown colour? I feel that you should get a transmission specialist to inspect for internal failure, but I feel there are some serious issues going on in your transmission.

Mhpautos