ROUGH IDLE, STALL, BLACK SMOKE, WON'T RES

1993 Toyota Camry

1993 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 194000 miles

After the engine warms up in city driving, car will idle rough and stall trying to pull away from a stop light. Then, the car won't start for 5-10 minutes. I can also just turn off the car after driving a while, and it won't restart again for 10 minutes. I seem to get a smell of gas and do not have to touch the gas pedal to restart, may be flooding. I have replaced the Oxygen Sensor (which seemed to fix the problem for a day, but maybe just a lucky day), I have also replaced the PCV valve. Once the car restarts, can drive for several stops before the issue recurs. There have been times of black smoke, but it is not always present when the issue occurs. Never have a problem in the morning or after the car has sat for an hour or more. I have also disconnected the engine coolant sensor which mad the fans blow all the time, but made no difference. I live in the middle of nowhere and no mechanic has a diagnostic computer for this car due to it's age. Thanks for any help.
Stannels

There's a check connector near the front left strut tower that you use a jumper wire to jump Te-1 to E-1 and count the flashes of the check engine-to pull the code/s.

Also check the fuel pressure/idle air control valve/throttle positon sensor and airflow meter.

Next time it dies out-listen when you turn key to run -do you hear the fuel pump?

I was not happy with my reply as I feel the symptoms that I stated were ignored. I got generic answers. I don't know how to request the refund and it does not seem obvious how to make this request.

Sorry about not giving the tech another chance. My research shows this is likely the ignition coil.

Stannels
Car will idle rough and stall -Why don't you check the primary and secondary resistances on the coil and get back with me with the readings so I can determine it if its defective and then I'll authorize your refund.

It could be the coil-don't get me wrong-

I live in the middle of nowhere and no mechanic has a diagnostic computer for this car due to it's age. Here all you need to do is jump off Te-1 to E-1 in the check connector to get the OBD1 code/s you don''t need a scantool to pull codes.

I replace the ignition coil today, a little challenge since I had to remove the distributor to get to the screws and broke a plastic wire attachment which I epoxied. However, the problem appears to be solved.

As discussed, please authorize the refund. Thanks.

Stannels