PULSATION WHEN BRAKING

1992 Toyota Camry

Brakes problem
1992 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

The problem i'm having is that when I brake the car " surges" to a stop. It feels like the brakes are constantly grabbing and releasing. The pads on the back are new, the pads on the front have plenty of lining left. I had a leaking brake hose on the passenger side front that I replaced and it seems to have gotten worse since being replaced. It was the hose from the master cylinder to the metal hose going to the ABS master cylinder. Also the ABS light randomly comes on. Sometimes it will come on when I start the car and stay on. Other times it doesn't come on at all. I'm assuming the two problems are related. Could it be a bad wheel sensor causing both problems? The rear brakes are a combination of disc and drum. If the shoes are out of adjustment I know that could cause the pulsation but would that cause the Abs light to come on. On a side note the car also shakes violently when at a stop in drive. I doubt that has anything to do with the brake system but just in case. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Georgtibbet

Hi: Have you ever had the rotors resurfaced? If there is runout (warped) it will cause the pulsation you described. As far as the rear brake (disc / drum) the drum is for the e brake. Does it seem to be dragging? Also, I question if the ABS light has to do with the pulsation. Have you had the computer scanned to check for ABS codes? Many parts stores will do it for free.

Let me know what you find with the scan and if you had the rotors cut.

Thank you for your response. I have not had the rotors or the light checked yet. I didn't think of the rotors possibly being warped. I will get that checked. Thank you

Georgtibbet
Let me know what you find.