AIR BAG LIGHT STAYS ON, NEVER BEEN DEPLOY

1992 Toyota Camry

1992 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180K miles

Worked out of town too long, came back battery DEAD. Replaced battery, car now had "parking lights staying on" problem, all switches off, key removed. Soooo... I tried using the Haynes schematics to Isolate a power source to kill juice to the lights until I could spend more time and fix the problem. No Go on pulling fuses, the lights stayed ON when "LOGICAL" steps were followed, didn't want to disconnect btty and glitch computer. So, during this process I pulled ALL fuses one by one like an idiot including AIRBAG system fuse. Ok. Parking light problem is gone and has not returned, but now my AIRBAG LIGHT stays on constantly. I assume that I introduced a "power transient" to the airbag system, causing this. How do I reset the system? The car has never been wrecked, airbag never deployed. Need to get car inspected, don't want to be taken to cleaners by dealer...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/286555_schwarzens_dog_2.jpg

Animalfarm

Bottom line - I pulled the fuse and then put it back after inspecting it on Airbag circuit with battery connected. Did this cause my AirBag light to now stay on constantly when car on? How can I " reset computer/Fault code" myself? I don't have a hand-held code reader at this point.

Animalfarm
What I can find it looks like what you need to do is disconnect the neg batt. Cable for about 1 min. By removing the fuse you triggered a power supply difference that is say a power surg. See air bag systems have a 1 min backup power supply so if you are in a crash because it dies the air bag will still work for the first minute. So by doing this with the neg cable you will also drain the backup power and this should reset it. Let me know how it goes.

Racefan966
The best thing to do is have the computer accessed and determine what code is stored. If the light is ON, there should be a code. It's a '92 model so this may not be as easy as it sounds. You'll probably have to take it somewhere that has a scanner that will access the diagnostics part of the computer. Some independant shops, like the one I work at, have such equipment but some don't. You could call around and ask before you take it anywhere. The code will usually direct you in the right direction as to what's going on and why the light is on. As far as what you've done, I don't see anything in the diagram that should cause the light to stay on simply by pulling the fuse however, these systems can sometimes be very sensitive and that could actually send it for a loop. So my advice is to take it to a shop and have the code read and go from there. I'll be happy to attempt to help you once you get that code.

Jasonray
Will try the Negative Btty cable option first, see what happens. I have no doubt that I inadvertantly introduced a glitch that generated a code. Does the Camry have an " Self-diagnostic" program that outputs codes as a series of flashing lights seperated by pauses? I also own a Jeep Cherokee Country, and have used the Jeep self-diagnostic function in the past. The Camry is new territory for me. I can easily repair the Jeep, but the Camry has so much #$!*&Amp; %#$$ crammed into the engine compartment. Oh, yeah - any way to change the rear Spark Plugs on this V-6 without resorting to pulling the Intake manifold? I haven't owned this one for long, so it's learn as I go. Will Report back with detailed results so others might benefit. Thanks for responding!

Animalfarm
Have you tried disconnecting the battery negative terminal and wait ten seconds then reconnect it, if that doesn't work locate the diagnostic connector under the hood and make a jumper wire and connect it between the terminals Tc and E1, then read the code of the air bag light. t will blink a number of times giving the trouble code, for instance a code 16 would be one flash of the light followed by six, give it a try and let ne know the result.

Year range: 1990 to 2000

Locations: Near the left hand strut tower.
Near the right hand strut tower.
Near windscreen wiper motor or airflow meter wiring harness.
Right-hand side of firewall.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_PNG_18_BASIC_1.png

Use This Connector >
Diagnostic Link Connector No. 16

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_PNG_16_BASIC_1.png

Year range: 1988 to 1996

Near the right hand strut tower.
Next to the airflow meter or battery.
Under the drivers side dash panel.

Jnovack
Tried disconnecting the Negative battery cable for 3 minutes, reconnected, bur Air Bag light still stays on after starting car and letting run far beyond the 6 seconds or so it's supposed to take until it goes out. I am assuming that the fuse is still ok. Heh, heh. Pull the neg. Cable and check fuse again?

Racefan, are you sure the airbag btty is good only for 1 min?

Jnovack, I did find the diagnostic connector by the lefthand/passenger side strut tower, even says " diagnostics" on the top. (Connector is rectangular) But since it's now 11pm and 16 degrees out, I'll have to hold off with the jumper check until. I'll look in my haynes and chilton manuals to see which terminals are Tc and E1, unless you know off the top of your head. I assume the code response will be instant, so I'll need another person to watch the airbag light?

Jasonray, probably could take it to a shop, but what kind of average $$$ are we talking about? Besides I really like " figgerin'" these thing out myself, if possible.

I WILL respond back as soon as possible, so if I don't post immediately, please don't give up on me, I appreciate the help tremendously!

Animalfarm
Please just start with what I have asked buy removing the neg bat cable as I have already explained and if that don't change anything then we will take it from there. Thanks and get back to me if you need any more help. Have a Great day.

Racefan966
Racefan, I did remove btty cable, no difference. See my post prior from 9: 31pm last nigt.

Animalfarm
I would call around to your local parts stores to see if any of them do free scan's a lot of them do. I would go and have them scan it so you can get the code from it and we can see what the computer it telling about why the light is on.

Racefan966

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_Toyota_1.jpg

here are the locations to jump

Jnovack
Page 1 of 3