TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1989 Toyota Camry

1989 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 284600 miles

My transmission is giving me issues and I'm wondering if anyone can diagnose the problem in the Transmission- The fluid level is at the right level- way above the line when the car is off but right above the hot line when the engine is on. The problem I'm experiencing is the transmission suddenly clunked and lost its power as I was pulling up to or away from (can't exactly remember) a stop light at a lower speed. The engine will rev up when pressing on the gas peddle and the car it self will still move forward but only at a slow speed, like you would get if you didn't press on the gas at all and were running at idle. Reverse also works but has the same symptoms as drive. Something that may be related- I replaced the speed sensor with one from the junk yard a month ago, could be faulty but would it cause this problem? Any thoughts? -Thomas

Funnylarri

Hi Thomas,

Symptom description indicates the trhan is slipping and it could be due to internal pressure leakages.

Have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?

I haven't tried it b/c the car is stuck at my home and I don't have a code reader. The check engine light isn't on currently but then again it never has come on and probably should have more than a dozen times since I've had the car. I'll let you know if I do get it read though. -Thomas

Funnylarri
A faulty VSS can cause erratic shifting but not the symptoms described asit it seems to be either in limp mode or slipping.

You do not need any scanning tools to retrieve trouble codes.

Here are the procedures for retrieving transmission trouble codes.

DIAGNOSTIC CODES
CAUTION:Ensure battery Is fully charged prior to testing. Low battery voltage will cause faulty diagnostic system operation.

Reading Diagnostic Codes (W/O Super Monitor Display)

1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Ensure overdrive switch is in the ON position. Diagnostic codes can only be read if overdrive switch is in the ON position.

2. Determine terminal connector location. See
Fig. 1 . Using a jumper wire, connect terminals E1-To-T1 or E1-To-ECU

3. Diagnostic codes are read by counting the number of times the "OD OFF" light flashes on the instrument panel.

4. If transmission electrical system is operating normally the light will blink once every .25 Sec.

5. If there is a malfunction in the system, the light will blink once every .5 Sec. The number of blinks will equal the first number of the diagnostic code. After a 1.5 second pause, the second number of the diagnostic code will flash. If there are 2 or more codes, there is a 2.5 second pause between codes.

6. Remove jumper wire. If codes are stored, note code number and repair appropriate circuit.

NOTE:
If several diagnostic cores are stored, the lowest number code will flash first. Other codes will flash from lowest to highest number.

7. If diagnostic codes 62, 63, 64, 65, 73 or 74 occur an electrical failure in the solenoid is indicated. Mechanical failures such as sticking switches will not appear as diagnostic codes.

DIAGNOSTIC CODES

Diagnostic CodesTrouble Areas
Code 42 - Defective No. 1 speed sensor. Severed wire harness or short circuit. Fault ECU.

Code 44 - Defective rear wheel speed sensor (in transfer left
case). Severed wire harness or short circuit.

Code 61 - Defective No. 2 speed sensor. Severed wire harness or short circuit. Faulty ECU.

Code 62 - Defective No. 1 solenoid. Severed wire harness or short circuit. Faulty ECU.

Code 63 - Defective No. 2 solenoid. Severed wire harness or short circuit. Faulty ECU.

Code 64 - Defective lock-up solenoid. Severed wire harness or short circuit.

Code 65 - Defective No. 4 solenoid. Severed wire harness or short circuit.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DLC89CAmryFig01_1.jpg

My 1989 Camry is doing the exact same thing, did you find out what was wrong?

Thomas530