INSTALLING

1989 Toyota Camry

1989 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Having trouble getting the pilot to get " home" in the crankshaft pocket. Last time a little jiggling did the trick. This time, it's been a couple of hours. Motor and trans are hanging separately from 2 come a longs, and motor and trans end mounts both fastened; she just won't snap home that last 3/4 inch.
Landair48

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Had the torque converter been removed? It may not be fully located in the transmission.

Mhpautos
Yes, but it's fully back in. The gap is between that and the ring gear.

Landair48
The only thing that will stop the boss entering the ring gear is if it has a burr or it is some what rusty, that is about all that will stop it if the alignment is ok,

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos
Just had a second thought, if this is a different trans or engine, just make sure that there is not a dowel pin stuck in the block and one still in the trans, I have seen this before,

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos
I'll check. This is the same transmission, I just replaced the front seal and am putting it back together. So there's a dowel pin that may be out of line or crooked in there? The blockage is in the center of the crank/ converter where the two go together. The engine and trans are pivoting there and they won't slide " home".

Landair48
If it is the same engine / trans set it will not be an extra alignment dowel, I would be checking the boss is not damaged or burred causing this hang up.

Mhpautos