SPARK PLUGS/COIL PACKS

1998 Toyota Avalon

1998 Toyota Avalon 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

I recently purchased some bad gas, which seemed to foul the spark plugs. In an older auto, changing plugs is a snap --- not so with the newer ones. First, the coil pack question: those delicate-looking plastic snaps connected to the coil packs - how to release them without breaking them?

And once I've managed the front three, how do I get the rear three? They appear to have a different configuration - in terms of the coil packs bolted with 10mm bolts in front (I see no coil packs in back - just rubber boots). Do I just pull the boots and hope for the best? They're pretty inaccessible, so I hope they're easier than the front three.

Thanks, Mike
Mike LKB

Do not waste time disconnectinting the wires from the coil packs. Simply remove the one bolt (10mm)holding the coil pack down. Carefully lift the coil pack up while pulling the spark plug boot. The coil pack and boot will stay together and set them aside. Replace the spark plug and then put the boot and coil pack back.
The back plugs, wiggle and pull the boot off the spark plug. Do not be afraid, you can do it. Use a 5-6 inch extension on a spark plug socket. The drivers side plug may need a short handle socket wrench. Determination!

Gbruns2