CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1996 Toyota Avalon

Computer problem
1996 Toyota Avalon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

i own a 1996 toyota avalon my check engine light stays on. I have no performance problems, I get approx.25 miles per gallon.I had it scanned with a computer and it registers no problems. Another family member ownd a 1995 avalon and has the same liage and problem. Is it something thats common in those years? I was told to replace the gas cap. Have any ideas?
Edward c kennedy

The only tech service bulletins (TSB) I show released are for the fuel cap and the charcoal canister. Neither of which should impeed performance. In theory, antthing that triggers your check engine light should be logged in memory. When you had the computer scanned, was the scanner able to reset the CEL or not? The fuel cap may be emitting vapors detected by a sensor, but not log a code. You can your local Toyota dealer and see if this is a warranty issue. Wish I could tell you more.

James W.