CHECK ENGINE CODES P0340 AND P0420

1997 Suzuki Sidekick

1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

Year: 1997
Make: Suzuki
Model: Sidekick Sport (USA)
Engine: 1.8 L MFI V4
Transmission: Automatic (4x4)
Mileage: 145,000

Issue: Check engine codes P0340 and P0420. Inspection expires in April! (Please help!)

Code P0420 - " Catalyst efficiency below threshold":
- Check engine light has been on a while with this but I haven't worried about it too much since it's just emissions.
- I've been told it's a catalytic converter that might need replacing. Any suggestions? I've heard replacing the converter can be really pricey. Could it be anything else like an O2 sensor?

Code P0340 - " Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction":
- This is a new code that I've known about for < 1 month.
- I'm shocked that this code showed up because I had a mechanic replace my camshaft position sensor recently (January). My car was dying on me, then wouldn't start for 30 minutes. I haven't had issues with the car dying since he replaced the sensor, but now the there's a code for the sensor?

I'm open to a lot of different options. Any help with either problem would be really appreciated. I'm hoping to give the car to my little sister in a few years when she starts driving. And I want it to still be running! : )

Thanks!
Robert W. Berry
Berrypioneering

You will need to repalce the catalytic convertor. This can be costly so shop around !. Delete the codes. The camshaft code may just have been a glitch. If it reappears check the wiring as the sensor is new and the vehicle is running OK

Dave H
Dave,

Thank you so much for the advice!

I'll get the catalytic converter replaced after I shop a bit for a good deal. How do I " delete the codes"? Ask my mechanic? Go to an auto parts store? Take it to a Suzuki dealer/shop? Any suggestions would help me a lot.

Thanks again!

Berrypioneering
Most autozones and aamco's will read and delete the codes for free .. or your mechanic should be able to do it .. the dealer will try and tell you it needs a new sensor .. even though it has just had one and is running fine

Hope this helps .. let us know if we can assist in the future and spread the word of our forum to family & friends etc.

Happy motoring

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1054.png

Dave H
Okay, great. Thanks! I'll be sure to spread the word about the site too. Have a great day!

Berrypioneering