SUZUKI SIDEKICK TIMING BELT PROBLEM

1994 Suzuki Sidekick

1994 Suzuki Sidekick 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 160000 miles

Suzuki Sidekick was driving down the road and vehicle lost power. Their was still power in the battery and the vehicle would try to turn over but didnt have enough power. After looking at the distrubitor when put back on vehicle had no power at all. Changed the timing belt and vehicle will turn over but not enough power to start. Is their any way you could tell me if it sounds electrical or a engine problem. The sidekick is a 1994.
Rayfan0121

Hi rayfan0121,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptom description is not conclusive so I am not able to tell you what is the cause.

Do you have sparks when cranking?
Was the timing belt broken?
Did you test the compression?

At bottom of post there is a " First Thing s To Check " link. Go there to get an understanding what to look for and let me know what you find.

There is compression and fuel. The timing belt was broken, but replaced. It's still not starting. Dad says its bent valves but I refuse to believe it. I feel like it is electrical or maybe my ignition? Is there anything else I may check, except the engine moduler thing? Something else said it may be that the computer (codes) is still in the mind-frame that I am going down the road, like not to engage if the clutch is not fully pressed in. Should it be reset or something? What do you think? My dad is set on this bent valve theory and is trying to give up.I need help to convince him to try alternatives. He's never worked on a suzuki or anything like it. Just old cars and ford/chevy trucks. Please help me! He wants to replace the head! Is this too drastic, without checking the other things?

Rayfan0121
A broken timing belt can damage the valves.

Did you check the valve clearances? If any valves are bent, the valve clearance would be excessive.

Cold adjustment
0.13 - 0.18 mm Intake
0.15 - 0.20 mm Exhaust

What were the compression readings for each cylinder?

Do you have sparks?
Is this a TBI of MFI system?