CHANGING A DOWNPIPE

1999 Subaru WRX

1999 Subaru WRX STI 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Manual 122000 km

Hi everyone

I own a 99 wrx sti version 5. No modifications, completely standard.

I am wanting to change the standard downpipe " frontpipe" and replace it with a aftermarket saimese down pipe which will remove the front cat. The remainder of the exhaust system would be left as the factory sti set up.

1. Would you recommend this change?
2 Would there be any benefit at all?
3. Any risk involved/future problems?

Thomas D

Hi, I Would Not Do it. Aftermarket Exhaust, May give You A Little more power, but Could cause Backfires, Surges, Etc. And Once You Install It They Don't want It Back, If your Unhappy With the Way it runs.I Would Keep The Factory Pipes And cats On there. Besides The WRX Is One Powerful Car.

Hope This Helps You,
Good luck
Edward S.

Edward.S
Thanks Edward

So changing the front pipe only is not a good idea and leaving the rest of the exhaust system standard?

Removing that cat wouldnt help it breath easier?

Thomas D
Hi, If It Were My Car I'd Keep It The way It is. But That's Only My opinion. If You Want To Try To Modify It. Then ok, Some States Require Both cats Be On and working For emissions. Your state may not?

Hope this helps You,
Good luck
Edward S.

Edward.S