BLOWN HYDRAULIC TENSIONER

2005 Subaru Outback

2005 Subaru Outback 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

My engine " stopped" yesterday - the mechanics at subaru here had recently serviced the vehicle and replaced the cam belt for its 100,000km servicing. Now they have looked at the car and they tell me the fault was a result of a faulty hydraulic tensioner which they put in along with the cam belt and it has caused " mechanical damage" to the engine. They will look at the heads and valves to repair it.
Is this only a " quick fix" which may leave the vehicle prone to future problems and a loss of performance?

What should I ask them to keep them honest?

They are not charging me for the repair as it was done by a subaru authorised dealer and genuine parts.

Thanks guys!
Eddie
Eddie2182

Hi there,

This will be a normal fix, worst case I feel will be a few bent valves, this is common for a failed belt (or in your case tensioner) They should be pulling both heads and checking all valves to be sure, just ask them if This is the case with this repair.

Mhpautos