LEAKING HEAD GASKET WITH OVERHEATING

Subaru Other

I have a 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon that is overheating and slowly losing coolant. The repair shop wants $2500 to repair my " leaking" head gaskets and fix the warped base I guess. There are folks pushing fluids like " Thermagasket", to poor into the coolant system and seal the leak for what is obviously a fraction of the cost. Are these " liquid" fixes even possible, and if so, would you recommend any? If not, does $2500 seem like a reasonable price, or are they milking me for using a shop in a nice neighborhood?
D
Farberds

$2500 would get you a new motor. Possibly with a turbo! A new cylinder head is only $450. I hate mechanics, they charge more for labor than doctors.
I would take it to a shop that specializes in Japaneese imports or the dealer.

Fizzak
Hi I'm a subby owner two I was qouted about 1200.00 jr. Bacon cheeseburgers to replace my leaking head gasket at my local subaru dealer today yet I found out if you have less than 100,000 miles on you four cylinder subaru you may have a recall on the head gasket they have some problem I guess. By all means don't put a snake oil in your car like thermagasket it rederes the engine unrebuildable that is to say it coats the inside of the engine and it cannot be reused as a core for rebuild. Instead check with a subaru dealer's serviece department for an additive that will seal an external head gasket leak on the subaru forrester and you can only get this from subaru so talk to them my friend. Good luck I hope they have thier additive available for you I was at a subaru dealer today like I said and they told me about this additive it is also on line but agian only available at a subaru dealer : D
'
8)

Subbyguy
I just replaced BOTH head gaskets on my 100K+ mile 2001 Outback. I replaced the water pump, timing belt & radiator (it was leaking due to the head gasket exhaust gases), spark plugs & wires at the same time. Total cost was around $500 in parts & two weekends. I switched over to Evans NPG+ coolant too.

OldBay
I have a 98 Outback and had the same overheating problems at around 150k. Ended up having a new engine (& transmission) put in for around $3,500. The engine block cracked from overheating.

Jwpotter
98 legacy 2.5 liter 155,000 mi.

I have the same problem and my shop wants $1650 for the repair and offers a 12 month warranty. They do the all seals and what you have listed above with the acception of replacing the radiator. He told me they " rood out" the radiator or something? Said it was not the same as a flush? I am not a mechanic and don't want to get ripped off. Is this a fair price?

Jcoheley
Firstly to that dude up above. Why do you hate mechanics? Because they are trained and specialized in something you either can't or are unwilling to do? Mechanics are paid a fair rate for what they do. The only problem with mechanics is that most people dont have enough money to pay them.

To my question.I have a 98 legacy 2.5L. Its overheating. Ive replaced the head gaskets, water pump, timing belt, and thermostat. The radiator appears to be allowing circulation properly. The car still overheats. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Krullex
Are you losing any coolant? How do you know the vehicle is actually overheating? My first thoughts were is the car really overheating or is it just a bad coolant temp sensor.

Tamzme