93 LEGACY FUEL PUMP RELAY BURNS OUT

1993 Subaru Other

93 Legacy, 2.2 L, 155000 2WD. The car runs great but then dies. Traced the problem to no fuel. Replaced the filter (original factory filter still in), No Go. Pulled the pump out of the tank and it worked, so since I couldn't find any fuse for the system, I replaced the fuel pump relay and it was great. One week later though I am dead again with no fuel. Any ideas as to why this relay would burn out like this? Thanks for your help.
Joethejet76

Sounds like the pump is drawing too much amperage and burning up the relay.

Jack42
How / where do I test this then? I test this? Do I need to replace the relay first? How many amps are too much? If it is drawing too much, Do I replace it?

Joethejet76
Use a meter to test the amp draw at the power wire for the pump. Replace the relay again if it is burned up, and yes if the pump is drawing too much it needs to be replaced. Find out how many amps it is drawing and get back to me, Ill see if I can find a spec on that somewhere

Jack42